Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Parenting...

While browsing a local group on Facebook the other day, I came upon a post about childbirth and parenting. As always, you do have the negative with the positive and this group seems to turn negative every single time a 'Mommy' asks a question.  In this Facebook group, a woman decided to voice her opinion about the 'right' way to go through delivery, recovery, and even parenting.

I have never had a cesarean section, nor would I EVER want one. Some people seem to think it is the easy way out. I'm not sure where they came up with that. They must have never seen a person go through one before.  When I was pregnant with NL, I almost had to have a section because he was in the breech position. He turned just in the nick of time. Emergencies happen though and sometimes a section is the ONLY way to save Mommy and baby. That decision really is between the mother and the doctor.

Mothers, we need to stop comparing our ways with those of another Mother.

We need to be there for and with other mothers. First-time mommies need the help of more experienced mommies. I know. I have been a first-time mother and it wasn't all fun and games. I see SO many posts that knock mothers who bottle-feed, use disposable diapers, or use some unconventional way of parenting. SO what? The child will not turn out better by having breast milk; nor will they turn out better by using cloth diapers. In fact, they won't even remember their baby years. We, mothers, need to stop comparing and 'one-upping' other mothers. We are all in that same boat, trying to paddle to land and finding any means necessary to do so. We WANT our children to be happy, well fed, and clean. It doesn't matter HOW it is done, just that it IS done. Mothers, PLEASE, stop beating yourself up because you can't or forgot to do something. Love those children. That is the BEST thing in the world for a child.

Mothers, we need to stop comparing our children with others.

We need to help each other out, guide each other, and never judge when a mother doesn't do as we do. It is rather heartbreaking when I see a mother struggling. Then when speaking to another mother who saw that mother struggle belittle that mother. It DOESN'T matter how we parent.  Unless a person is hurting a child physically or mentally, we should never jump in and judge. Every child is unique. They have their unique way of doing things and TIMES to do them. I really cringe when someone tells a mother, "Isn't he walking yet?" No, he is not. AND that is OKAY! Children do not always follow their peers and do things at the time that others do it. (It is okay to be concerned and ask your child's doctor about stages.) GG and I's boys ALL walked at different ages, got their teeth in at different ages, crawled at different ages, spoke at different ages, and ate 'real' food at different ages. They are all very healthy.

Our responsibility is to our children. If we take everything that people say to heart, we will never learn how to 'deal' with our children. SO much advice will be given. You can take each one and file it away. People will always give advice. It is what you do with that advice that will either help you or cut you down.

If you are a new mother, I wish you the best of luck in your journey. There will be very stressful times. I can't say that it will any less stressful as the years progress, because I don't know your story, But, you do learn how to 'deal' with those times. Just ALWAYS remember the good times.




No comments:

Post a Comment