Friday, July 19, 2013

School Uniforms

I have been buying uniforms since MG started public school in the 2nd grade. He was previously at a private school that allowed the children to wear "everyday" clothes. My experience with different name brands has been quite good. There are some that I most likely won't buy again. MG and JK always have problems finding the right uniform pants that will fit well. Pleated pants do NOT look good on any of my boys. Another problem that I have had with a couple of brands is that they fade quickly. By October, they are looking like cheap used clothing.

Since I am buying for three and not one anymore, I have to look more at prices than ever before. Paying in the teens for shirts and pants when MG was the only one that I was buying for. When JK started school, it wasn't that bad either. But when LG started school last year, it got to be too expensive to NOT shop when there were sales. JK and LG are in the same size shirt which makes it a LOT easier since I can just buy in bulk and be done with it. The pants, however, are a different story. JK wears a slim pants while LG wears a regular size pants.

I absolutely LOVE the George uniform shirts that can be found at Walmart. They are cheap but not cheap looking AND they keep their color year round. ***Disclaimer: I do not own any of the photos that are shown. They were taken from the websites that are listed before the picture.






My favorite uniform pants has to be from The Children's Place. I've found that they last quite a while with my boys and stay looking new for quite some time as well!




However for MG, it is going to be a little harder this year. He doesn't fit in the sizes that are available at The Children's Place. When he first started, we would get him French Toast Uniforms. At the time, they were only found at Target. I absolutely loved them because they had the double knee. He is really rough with the knees of his pants. For some reason, he is the ONLY one who has had blow outs in the knees.




When these were at Target, they were really inexpensive. They have gone up in price since I bought them over 4 years ago. They aren't available at Target and I hate to buy something online just in case it doesn't fit. I always worry that I will send the clothes back and I won't a bigger/smaller size until after school starts leaving them without clothes. Without any other options, I would have to go and get them each a couple of pants and shirts and be out the money that I supposedly saved.

Old Navy shirts and pants wear well, but they fade horribly. I bought some Old Navy dark blue uniform pants. They faded within 3 weeks of wear. The same went for their shirts. I would probably buy their khaki uniform pants and white uniform shirts, though, but will probably not do anything colored.


Now, my children do not wear white on white or blue on blue clothes. They wear the khaki/blue or blue/white combinations. I usually buy my boys a couple of shorts, as well. The heat stays well into October and sometimes even in November, so shorts are worn quite often around here. Usually, I love the blue shorts, just because the shirt colors that our school allows go great with them. The shorts are from The Children's Place and the shirt is from Wal-mart.





These are what I buy for my children. Usually, it costs under $300 which is what I aim for when buying their school clothes at the beginning of the school year. It can get to be really expensive, but I try to cut cost wherever I see fit. Right now, all uniforms are on sale in my area. If these uniforms last the whole year, then I am proud of my accomplishment. If, however, they only 6 months, and I am paying full price in the middle of the year for more pants, I feel like I defeated the purpose. d

Good luck to all of you parents out there who have a first time entering student and don't have much more time before they enter school. It can be really stressful, I know. Just take deep breaths and you will be ok. The first day is the hardest. It never gets easier with each child either. Good luck to all you seasoned parents too. This means our children are getting older each time they enter a new school year.

No comments:

Post a Comment